Wedding Makeup Trial 01
It's actually time to start thinking about wedding makeup (!!!)
This post contains PR samples and affiliate links.
We're in the home stretch (less than four months away!) for my wedding and there is a lot of little day of things I'm slightly obsessing over. What makeup I'll be wearing has been top of the mind for basically the duration of the engagement but now that we're actually here I'm finally trialing wedding makeup looks.
I'm doing my makeup for a few reasons. First, it's kind of my thing, right? With Wendy's thing is sewing, she made her wedding dress, my thing is makeup, I'll be doing my makeup. Which sounds way less impressive now.
The other reasons are that it's cheaper (especially if I don't buy wedding occasion only makeup) and I've never had my makeup done and totally loved the result.
I based this whole look off my long time favorite eyeshadow, the L'Oreal Infallible 24 Hour Eyeshadow in Amber Rush. It's very wearable-wedding, right? It's a nude-ish rose shade made much more interesting with it's metallic finish. The overall goal was rosy low-key glam that didn't look too Victoria's Secret Model.
I wanted the focus to be on the eyes, keeping it smoky at the lash line, slightly winged out with lots of lashes. As for everything else I just wanted it as good looking as possible. Which, isn't exactly ground breaking, but it's not like I'm going for a sheer foundation.
I took these notes as I was going so all of the bullet points are in order, then went back and explained a bit more so it makes sense for readers! Here goes.
- Cerave Moisturizer - My skin has been drier this winter than I've ever experienced. I'm trying to figure out a skincare prep before applying makeup that allows foundation to look good, not cakey and scaly. Applying a little Cerave worked okay but I think I should probably use something a little more emollient.
- Too Faced Primed and Poreless primer - Not my favorite but I've only got a bit left so might as well finish it up. I'll probably go for a primer that works better with my skin like the Benefit Porefessional.
- Mixed Foundation - 1 pump Skin79 BB, 1 pump Laura Mercier Flawless Fusion Foundation* and 1 pump Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer in 07. I'm noting one pump each here because it is wildly different amounts of product. Written from most to least amount of product. I'm not actually loving this combination, it was too thick to apply and wasn't as dewy as I was hoping. I may invest in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation.
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage* - The best concealer for pinpoint concealing and my dark inner eye corners.
- Laura Mercier Loose Powder in Translucent* - To set concealer and the t zone.
- No primer and worked okay though some creasing at the end of the day, will prime in future with Urban Decay Primer Potion.
- Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie* all over the lid and crease
- Makeup Geek Bake Sale* in the crease
- Makeup Geek Shimma Shimma inner corner and brow bone
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Whiskey (my favorite) smudged into outer 1/3 of top and bottom lash lines. Smudged a few times to deepen color.
- Antonym Cosmetics black eyeliner* smudged into outer 1/3 top and bottom lash lines, tried to use a very small amount, and blend less than the UD liner. This is not my favorite black liner (it doesn't have much staying power) and I probably will not use it for the wedding.
- L'Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush pressed over lid and inner half lower lash line and blended out over crease.
- Ardell Individual Lashes (a whole bunch, IDK) focused on outer corner and less moving inwards. I much prefer the look of individual lashes over strip lashes.
- Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara - Will not be using, not waterproof, doesn't wear well for me. May get Benefit They're Real which wears really well.
- Etude House Oh M'Eye Line liner - This liner is a BABE. I did a thin line all the way across and baby lil' flick on the end after applying the lashes.
- The Body Shop Honey Bronzer all over.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Paaarty (Sephora sample, closest to Peaceful in the full line) - I'll be using much more blush next time because you can barely see it in the photos.
- MAC Oh, Darling! Highlighter* - may go for a more champagne shade like the Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight highlighter and use more of it.
- No contour but considering a bit of contour on the cheekbones and jawline.
- Lipstick Queen Nothing But The Truth - gorgeous but transfers like a mofo. I'm thinking I may go for a Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink or maybe the Lancome Matte Shaker - still deciding if I want to go for a bold shade or keep it more rosy.
- Different foundation - I won't purchase for at least two months in case I get a tan. Something higher coverage, with a dewier finish.
- More contour - eyes, cheeks, and jawline (nose?)
- More blush
- More highlighter
- eyeshadow primer (opaque)
- More opaque eyeshadow
- longer wearing lip / different color?
- More defined eyebrow?
If you have any tips/ideas/suggestions I would LOVE to hear them in the comments below!